Saturday 15 September 2007

VB Express Limited

As I said in one of my previous posts, I decided to develop FreshReports using VB Orcas. Funny thing, I don't feel I miss any of Visual Studio's functionality, but I miss the add-ins a lot. I can live without TestDriven.Net, but I've got to use Refactor! a lot (they still don't have native refactoring tools in VB). But another thing I miss sometimes is the "attach to process" button. Together with the missing "Debug test" feature of TestDriven it makes it almost impossible to debug your tests. Almost, because you still can use the self-testing feature of MbUnit.

Anyway, at some point I discovered that I'm writing too much Console.WriteLine's and still can't get my test pass. Now, I keep saying it on every corner that I hate all limitations, but honestly, sometimes limiting possibilities can do good for dumbheads like me. So, the reason I tried to debug what's been happening in my code was a smell that something's wrong, but if I could debug it, I just wouldn't pay much attention (old habits). The amount of console output was like some annoying noise that finally woke me up.

I woke up and I told myself, why am I torturing myself? I know a better way of doing this, so let's do it!

Still, I miss the add-ins..

No comments: